Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sisters, Sisters, There Were Never Such Devoted Sisters!

Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen Sing "Sisters"
 in White Christmas
Sisters
Sisters
There were never such devoted sisters

All kinds of weather
We stick together
The same in the rain or sun
Two diff'rent faces
But in tight places
We think and we act as one

Those who've
Seen us
Know that not a thing could come between us

Okay, I may have left a few of the lyrics out of the great "Sisters" song by Irving Berlin, made famous by Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen (or Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye) in the movie White Christmas.  But I left in the really important parts.

I love this song because almopst every year for at least a decade my sister and I got together to watch this movie - sometimes at Christmas and sometimes in the middle of summer.  Nothing picks me up from a cloudy day quite like this old movie.

My sister, Jenn, and I are almost 11 years apart in age.  By the time she was 7, I was already heading off to university.  In some ways, it's like we grew up in totally different families.  Even when she was little though, she was always my faithful companion - I never had to look far for a movie buddy because she was always available.  Until she was in school everyone at home called her "Babe".  Then we called her Jenny and now Jenn.  When I moved back and forth across the country, she was my most faithful correspondent and she is the only member of my family to have seen every single house I ever lived in - she missed my first apartment - just as well!  Nevertheless, we were always years apart and at different stages of our life.  I got to give out older sister sisterly advice - some of which was probably truly awful :-)

But now, we have really hit our sweet spot.  Now that we are in the middle third of our lives (haha) it no longer seems like there is any difference in our ages.  We think the same way and we react to things the same way - this isn't always a good thing but it always gives us something to laugh about.  We can completely trust each other and completely rely on each other in good times and bad.

I am counting my blessings!





No comments:

Post a Comment