Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Great Quotes - Benjamin Zander

On Sunday, my Minister reminded that I should still be blogging.  The truth is that I have been so busy living out happiness that I haven't been as busy seeking it.  The 18 months of intense searching for the source of happiness has led me to pursue a more authentic version of myself.  I am now in my second year of studies in the Master of Divinity program at Tyndale Seminary.  My oldest daughter got married this summer.  My husband's youngest son got married and my husband and I spent 10 glorious days in Europe - happiness abounds.

Lately, I have been coming across some great quotes that are absolutely worth sharing.  The first is one that is said by Benjamin Zander.  Benjamin is the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Symphony and gives an inspiring talk on TED.com.  He tells a story of a friend of his who survived Auschwitz - her parents did not.  On the train to Auschwitz, she looked down at the feet of her 8 year old brother and noticed his shoes were missing.  She yelled at him, as a big sister would, saying "can't you keep your things together".  It would be the last thing she would ever say to him, as he did not survive either.  Zander then quotes her as saying:

"I made a vow never to say anything that I could not live with as the last thing I might say".

These are inspiring words.  Can you honestly commit to that concept?  Never speak an unkind word, an angry word, a thoughtless word.  Consider that every time you speak to someone it may be the last thing you ever say to them - this is an awesome responsibility.  Try it for a week - you never know, it could become addictive...

To hear Benjamin Zander's entire inspiring talk about the healing power of classical music:

TED.com - Benjamin Zander

No comments:

Post a Comment